Avon & Somerset BikeSafe
We currently operate one day events to deliver BikeSafe, which at present are being delivered in Taunton and Bristol on a Sunday. These locations offer access to some of the best roads in the region. These one day seminars aim to reduce the number of motorcycle rider casualties by promoting safer riding and encouraging riders, where necessary, to seek further training.
It doesn’t matter how you look at it or view the figures most of our serious bike accidents occur as a result of rider error. It might be going too fast for the circumstances, riding too close or making a bad decision, like overtaking when it’s not safe to do so. If you knew what might happen, you wouldn’t do it! You can help yourself and take steps to prevent becoming a statistic by taking further training and learning how to ride a road that offers more than a straight or the odd roundabout. This is what BikeSafe is all about.
We offer riders the opportunities to ride some of the most picturesque roads within our region, as well as crossing over to adjoining counties, to ride their roads also. It’s a great opportunity to have your riding observed by one of our Police Class 1 motorcyclists, with the aim of identifying areas of risk and helping you to improve your riding and make you a safer motorcyclist.
The seminars have proved to be extremely popular and of interest to all motorcyclists with a full licence who would like to enhance their existing road skills. It also gives them a chance to share their experiences and the opportunity to have a riding assessment with a police advanced motorcyclist.
We presently have a close working relationship with a number of corporate clients where we deliver BikeSafe to their staff with the aim at reducing lost working hours due to motorcycle related incidents. We are happy to hear from any groups, organisations, and companies etc who feel that they would benefit from having us deliver BikeSafe to them at a discounted rate. We can deliver BikeSafe on any set day to suit your groups or business needs, all the we ask is that we have groups of no more than 12 per session.
Don’t delay, book and reserve your place now. We look forward to welcoming you for the day.
Courses are open to anyone with a full motorcycle licence and have no more than 12 attendees. We have a team of excellent observers who are all Roads Policing officers that have completed both advanced car and bike courses. In addition to riding at work all are passionate motorcyclists.
Workshop format as follows:
- 0845 – Arrival, administration.
- 0900 – Interactive presentation. This will cover topics including hazard awareness, cornering, overtaking, junctions, group riding and filtering.
- 1145 – Lunch, Tea and coffee break. Please bring a packed lunch.
- 1200 – Introduction to your observer. Followed by an observed ride. This is designed to take in most of the types of road you are likely to ride on urban, rural, sweeping and twisty. The maximum ratio will be two riders to one assessor. You will stop on regular occasions to debrief your ride and reflect on the classroom input before putting the advice into practice. Radios communication between you and your observer is not possible, your observer will brief you fully.
- 1530 – Arrival back with the rest of the group where your observer will provide you with an overall feedback. The classroom presenter will be on hand if any new questions have cropped up as will at some locations a representative from an advanced training organisation to allow you to take the next step.
You will need to bring a road worthy bike of 125cc or above Your licence, evidence of insurance and MOT. Electronic versions are fine. Please wear appropriate clothing including an approved helmet and visor, boots with ankle protection, a motorcycle jacket and gloves. There are no lunch facilities at any of the workshop sites, please bring a packed lunch if required.
BikeSafe Workshop Coordinator
Contacting BikeSafe during the Covid-19 crisis
Owing to the Covid-19 situation, all BikeSafe workshops have been cancelled as of 18/03/2020. For full advice and information regarding cancelled BikeSafe workshops and our response to Covid-19, please click here.
Until restrictions on non-essential travel, social contact etc have been lifted, BikeSafe Admin will likewise be unavailable for anything other than critical support. Please bear with us and be patient during this challenging time and we look forward to resuming BikeSafe delivery once this crisis has passed.